Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Envisioning and preparing to be a Cosmetologist- inspirational.

Hello all and thanks for stopping by!

I'm writing this because I was inspired by a beautiful young lady that I met this past weekend who showed me that no matter what the challenges you have in life, to keep your mind and energy focused on what your joy is in life and simply work towards your goals.

Her name is Ava, she's 11yrs old and she was born with spina bifida .  She is my partners niece that I met over the weekend and her smile lights up the room and my heart.  She is the oldest of 3 and has 2 great parents who are truly heroes in life for the love they provide to all of their children.

While talking and getting to know her, I was informed by her mom that Ava has a strong interest in Cosmetology and doing hair.  The mom wasn't sure where her daughter picked up the interest however she is happy that she has found something that she likes.  The mom has gotten Ava a mannequin head doll that Ava uses to practice dry hair styling and braiding techniques on.  The mom doesn't want hot styling tools involved yet due her age and simple safety precaution(s) which I can totally understand.  Needless to say though Ava enjoys it greatly!

I share with the mom and Ava more about me and my background and gave my website link for them to look at on her Ipad while we were at lunch and it seemed to get Ava's attention with a smile.  A day later, I go on to my Instagram account and guess who is my latest follower- little Miss Ava!  That truly made my day and brought the biggest smile and joy to my heart!  I shared it with my partner (her uncle) and he too was joyous.  Being a Hair Stylist and/or Makeup Artist in this Industry comes with SO much potential and opportunity but to me the greater reward is in the people you meet!  Yes, I have met and/or worked with some fantastic people that I look up to in the Industry, Icons in the Industry but the ones that I appreciate the most is someone like Ava.

This young lady has a vision of being a Hair Stylist at 11yrs old.  Not every day is a good one for her but she still will take her mannequin head, watch a YouTube video on a Styling or Braiding technique and duplicate it and THAT is what determination is all about.  Meeting her and knowing what she deals with health wise yet will still push through to enjoy each day, deserves much praise and respect.

I found a new found reason and purpose to rise up and push through and accomplish more for myself in this Industry and it's because of Ava!  I hope that maybe this or next year that I will be able to have Ava backstage with me during New York Fashion Week and be my number one Assistant!- real talk!  She may not be of age yet to technically do hair but she can certainly get a first hand look at what it takes to be a part of something so incredible as Fashion Week and I know I'll enjoy having her with me as part of the experience.

Thank you universe (and my partner) for introducing me to Ava.  Her presence and purpose has redefined my presence and purpose as a Hair Stylist and Makeup Artist. 

The overall point to this blog, don't let any circumstance stop you from living your dream and purpose.  I dedicate this blog and my continuing career to you Ava, little do you know the big difference you made in my life.

Continue living with and on purpose everyone.
Brian C. Hawkins